Central Police University is the institution of the highest learning for police education in our country. On Sept. 1, 1936, by merging Police High School, MOI and Chechiang Provincial Police School, the government established Central Police College in the town of Maqun in Nanjing for the purpose of unifying police educational systems around the country and cultivating police administrative personnel. In this college, two-year education and three-year police education were available. At the breakout of Anti-Japanese War in 1937, the college was moved west to Danzishi in Chongqing. There, special police training courses and special training courses for police officers were added.
In order to bring up police administrative personnel taking charge of a department alone, an advanced research course for police administration was organized in Jan. 1944. In order to reserve police cadres after the reoccupation of Taiwan, a lecture course for police cadres was started in Sept. 1944 and the first-class graduates of every period were selected to further their studies in USA.
After the triumph of Anti-Japanese War in 1945, the college was moved back to Nanjing outside Guanghua City-Gate. In accordance with the national policy, the training for army officers turned into police and other specialized trainings were expanded. Besides Nanjing, six more branches were established in Xi'an, Guangchou, Dihua, Chongqing, Beijing and Shenyang, as well as two officer squads in Shanghai and Taiwan. The college flourished for a time with a student body of more than 12,000.
When Civil War broke out in 1949, the college was moved to Guangzhou, then to Chongqing, and finally to Taiwan where it was consolidated with the Training Course for Police Officers in Taipei. In June 1950, the college was closed down under orders, however, the Training Course for Police Officers was still kept for cultivating police in-service.
In Oct. 1954, the college resumed classes and that education of regular courses continued. In 1957, with approval, this college was expanded into a four-year college. At first, two departments of Police Administration and Criminal Investigation were formed, followed by the establishment of other departments, including Public Security, Crime Prevention and Corrections, Household Administration, Fire Service, Traffic Science, Foreign Affairs Police, Military-Service Administration, Administrative Management, Information Management, Border Police, Maritime Police, Forensic Science and Law. In 1970, the graduate school offering MA degree in police administration was established. Since 1974, female students were admitted to enter the college. In 1994, the graduate school offering Ph.D. degree was established. Besides research institute and education of regular courses, seminars for the promotion of police in-service and professional seminars were held. In order to accelerate international friendship and cooperation, the college not only admits foreign students, but also cooperates with foreign universities, exchanges teachers and students, holds academic seminars and takes part in international academic organizations and activities.
Approved by Legislative Yuan on Dec. 12, 1995, the school was formally renamed Central Police University under the public proclamation of the president on Dec. 20. Since its establishment in 1936, the school has been enjoying a history of over seventy years. At this time of reviewing sixty-year glorious history of our university and welcoming the future, we believe that under the leadership of our President and with the efforts of all teaching and administrative staff, police academic levels and positions in our country are surely to be improved. We feel certain that we can bring up more qualified people for the brilliant future of a more modernized and scientific police university in the 21st century.